April 27th dawned dark and a bit damp, but the sun came out just as the province's new Assumption Center in Worcester opened its doors for the Blessing and Open House. At 3:00 p.m., Monsignor Francis J. Scollen of St. Peter's-St. Andrew's Parish began liberally dousing the house and the close to SRO crowd with holy water to the strains of "All Are Welcome." An eager group of friends and parishioners processed through the five rooms on the first floor and then up the stairs to the second, singing and spraying all the while. When they came to the sun porch, and saw its Fenway Park-style green wall, their appreciation knew no bounds!
Located in the former rectory of St. Andrew's parish, the Assumption Center is a project of the U.S. Province of the Religious of the Assumption, undertaken as a way to mark and celebrate the canonization of our foundress, Marie Eugenie Milleret, in June 2007. It is already being used for educational outreach to the neighborhood -- ESL classes and tutoring sessions -- and as the headquarters of AMA, the Associate Missionaries of the Assumption (our lay volunteer program). Last but not least, the house will be home for our AMAs, thanks to the efforts of this year's AMA, Pierre Tardivo. Pierre, a native of the south of France, came to Worcester last year not knowing anything about removing wallpaper, painting, spreading joint compound or putting up drywall; his education in these matters started almost the first day he arrived. (At 6'3", Pierre never needed a ladder, yet another proof that God provides!) At the Open House, it was clear that his work including the Green Monster will benefit many who come to the Center. If you're in the neighborhood of 16 Vineyard Street, we hope youll stop in and see for yourself.
For more information on the Center, please contact Sr. Therese Duross, RA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508 767 1356.